Diaper rash is a pain – for both you as a parent, and for your child. Parents have long struggled with this very common ailment, stressing over the distress their children deal with, and looking for solutions. For some parents, over-the-counter creams used for decades are the go-to solution. However, often these contain zinc-oxide which works by creating a barrier between the bottom and the irritation-causing agent, but also doesn’t let the skin breathe. As a result, many parents are turning to alternatives to treat diaper rash naturally.
Diaper rash, as mentioned, in incredibly common, and is most often caused by moisture retention and the growth of organisms in the diaper. Commonly the growth is candida, or yeast, which is present in stools but grows and becomes problematic. Irritation can also be caused by moist skin rubbing against itself. Chronic diaper rash may also be an indicator of a food allergy.
Tips to treat diaper rash naturally:
- The first, and arguably most important, thing you should do is keep the area as dry and clean as possible. This means making sure baby is completely dry after a diaper change. Running around naked at home after a bath is never a bad idea either.
- Frequent diaper changes – we know, this kind of goes without saying, but any wetness, even left for a short period of time, can lead to irritation.
- Use diapers that draw moisture away from the skin and stay away from those which are tight fitting or rubber or plastic pants – these retain moisture.
- Add baking soda to baby’s bath water. This is not only soothing but also helps to restore the ph balance in the affected area, helping it heal.
- Introduce calendula as a healing agent. Calendula, an extract of marigold, Protects and soothes irritated skin and kills bacteria. When combined in a natural diaper rash cream containing other natural ingredients such as Chickweed, an external remedy to ease itchy, red, irritated skin, Goldenseal, which contains natural antibiotics that fight inflammation, and Marshmallow root which cools and moisturizes wounded and inflamed tissue, you can be sure baby is getting the relief they need without the added chemicals.
In some extreme cases, diaper rash may result in open sores. Consult a physician is this occurs, and avoid putting any products on it because it might sting. Abundance Naturally Baby Balm is an all natural solution to treat diaper rash. Keep the pain away.
Blog re-posted from abundancenaturally.com